Full List of New Movies & Shows on Netflix US This Week 2-8 May, 2022
|Netflix US - Full List of New Movies and Shows This Week|
Best New Movies and Shows on Netflix This Week 2-8 May, 2022
For more TV highlights, check out Jacob’s favorite new series including Ozark and Grace and Frankie’s final seasons.
Road to Perdition (2002)
Genre: Crime, Drama, Thriller
Director: Sam Mendes
Cast: Tom Hanks, Tyler Hoechlin, Rob Maxey
Writer: Max Allan Collins, Richard Piers Rayner, David Self
Runtime: 117 min
A number of NYTimes critics pick touched down on Netflix today but our top highlight is the 2002 Oscar-winning Tom Hanks movie Road to Perdition from DreamWorks Pictures.
Here is the Tom Hanks as a grumpy gangster movie. Actually a little more artful than its reputation, Road to Perdition came at a point where Hanks tried to break free of audience expectations by working with director Sam Mendes, then fresh off of American Beauty, to craft a poignant father and son tale about a muscle man for the Irish mob who must take his boy Peter (Liam Aiken) on the run after the lad sees something he shouldn’t.
Melancholic, elegiac, and achingly beautiful to look at, this is a surprisingly quiet essay of wise guys with tommy guns, including Paul Newman in one of his final roles and a surprisingly sniveling Daniel Craig in his pre-007 days. It is not the energetic shot of adrenaline to the heart that one might expect after watching a lot of Martin Scorsese gangster flicks, but 20 years later it’s still evocative and memorable.
All three of the extended versions Jackass’s back catalog just touched down on Netflix today ahead of the remix of Jackass Forever coming to Netflix globally on May 20th.
All three movies equate to just shy of four hours of stunts, pranks and skits all starring Johnny Knoxville, Ryan Dunn, Bam Margera, Dave England, and Preston Lacy.
Crazy, Stupid, Love (2011)
In real-life, would an out-and-about player like Ryan Gosling’s Jacob take a sad, lonely, middle aged divorcee like Cal (Steve Carell) under his wing? Probably not. But it makes for a hell of a movie!
That movie is Glenn Ficarra and John Requa’s chilled vibes rom-com, Crazy, Stupid, Love. Written by Dan Fogelman before his conventions became cloying on This Is Us, there’s an understated breeziness to Crazy as it weaves a vast ensemble tapestry of romance that is a little more nuanced than, say, Love, Actually in how it views the work necessary in maintaining relationships and… love. It also is the movie where Gosling first met Emma Stone, and their chemistry has sparkled ever since.
Dirty Harry (1971)
Released just as the revolutionary 1960s were giving way and curdling into the more cynical ‘70s, Dirty Harry became the prototype for untold numbers of “rogue cop” movies in which the violent, fascist methods of the protagonist were not just permitted but glowingly approved. In perhaps his second most iconic role (following the many variations of the Man with No Name he played in Westerns), Clint Eastwood is all snarling rage as police inspector “Dirty” Harry Callahan, who never met a protocol or regulation he didn’t want to break or a “punk” he didn’t want to shoot dead.
Drawing upon the real-life Zodiac Killer case that was still in the news at the time, Dirty Harry played upon real fears of crime that were rapidly increasing in America’s big cities. Its moral and ethical stance can continue to be debated—especially with the U.S. teetering ominously on the edge of fascism today—but Don Siegel’s direction and Eastwood’s performance still make it one of the most influential crime thrillers of all time.
Harold & Kumar Go White Castle (2004)
A raunchy, low-brow comedy of the highest order—in terms of drugs, not prestige—Harold & Kumar the First is not exactly what one would designate as a classic. Yet there is something still progressive and forward-thinking about this bro-fest from nearly 20 years ago that stars a Chinese-American actor (John Cho as the bookish Harold) and the son of Indian immigrants (Kal Penn as stoner Kumar). They’re a couple of kids whose weed-fueled night takes on mythical proportions as they quest their way to White Castle cheeseburgers.
It’s dumb, but cleverly so (at least in the scenes it stays out of the bathroom). It is also where the legend of New Patrick Harris as a sex addict began. At the very least it might trigger your own cheeseburger cravings.
Once Upon a Time in America (1984)
Sergio Leone’s Once Upon a Time in America is one of the great crime epics of motion picture history. It has the gore of Goodfellas, the street cred of Mean Streets, and the scope of the first two Godfather movies combined. Stars Robert De Niro and James Woods make up a dream gangster film pairing, on par with Humphrey Bogart and James Cagney in The Roaring Twenties. One did jail time, taking a murder rap for the gang, and wants to live a normal life of crime. The other is an ambitious sociopath, who wants to rob the Federal Reserve Bank and buy himself a shot at respectability.
Burdened with a rep for being too long, the film opens in the heated action of a fatally botched liquor delivery and ends with the sound of a woodchipper grinding the flesh and bones of a mob mastermind. In between is a peak into wise guy behavior so unflinching, some believe it killed any romantic notions the gangster genre still inspired. Yet, it still takes the time to savor misspent childhood like so much Charlotte Russe.
War of the Worlds (2005)
Steven Spielberg took H.G. Wells’ turn-of-the-century science fiction milestone, already filmed once before in 1953, and quite effectively, and brilliantly updated it. This turns into an exploration of post-9/11 America and the fear that gripped the nation in the aftermath of that horrific day. One of the director’s darkest films, it faithfully follows the trajectory of Wells’ story for the most part, but imbues it with an anger and dread that Spielberg has rarely deployed in such intense fashion.
Tom Cruise does solid work as the story’s working-man hero, but War of the Worlds will continue to be remembered for its often stunning imagery: people running and being blasted out of existence by the alien tripods; burning bodies floating down a clogged river; a downed airplane lodged into the middle of a suburban neighborhood, corpses dangling everywhere. Spielberg may slightly pull his punches toward the finish, but this remains one of the most terrifying sci-fi movies of the past 20 years.
When Harry Met Sally… (1989)
The classic romantic comedy of its time, When Harry Met Sally… follows the two title characters, played to perfection by Billy Crystal and Meg Ryan, as they meet in college and continue to interact with each other over the next 12 years—studiously avoiding the fact that they are not meant to be just friends but are actually each other’s soulmates.
Rob Reiner’s direction (he was in the middle of a legendary run that included This is Spinal Tap, Stand by Me, The Princess Bride, Misery, and A Few Good Men—damn!) and Nora Ephron’s screenplay, based on interviews with Reiner himself and many of her friends, may skim lightly over the deeper issues of male/female relationships that the film addresses. But it’s still a hilarious, truthful, and touching exploration of dating, love, and sexual politics. One iconic scene follows another, climaxing (so to speak) with the yet-to-be-topped diner sequence.
|Best Movies Coming to Netflix in May 2022|
Full List of New Releases on Netflix This Week (2-8 May, 2022)
This list only applies to Netflix US – those marked as Netflix Originals are mostly global releases, however.
- 3 Ninjas: Kick Back (1994)
- 365 Days: This Day (2022) Netflix Original
- 40-Love (2021)
- 42 (2013)
- A Farewell to Ozark (2022) Netflix Original
- A Man Wanted (2017)
- A River Runs Through It (1992)
- Big Eyes (2014)
- Bubble (2022) Netflix Original
- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005)
- Corpse Bride (2005)
- Crazy, Stupid, Love. (2011)
- David Spade: Nothing Personal (2022) Netflix Original
- Den of Thieves (2018)
- Dirty Harry (1971)
- Dr. Seuss’ The Cat in the Hat (2003)
- Empire State (2013)
- Forgetting Sarah Marshall (2008)
- Forrest Gump (1994)
- Gangubai Kathiawadi (2022)
- Happy Gilmore (1996)
- Harold and Kumar Get the Munchies (2004)
- Hello, My Name Is Doris (2015)
- Honeymoon with My Mother (2022) Netflix Original
- How Do You Know (2010)
- Hyena Road (2015)
- Jackass 2.5 (2007)
- Jackass 3.5: The Explicit Movie (2011)
- Jackass: The Movie (2002)
- Kongsi Raya (2022)
- Kung Fu Panda 3 (2016)
- Menace II Society (1993)
- Mishan Impossible (2022)
- Once Upon a Time in America (1984)
- Rambo (2008)
- Rambo: Last Blood (2019)
- Road to Perdition (2002)
- Rumspringa – An Amish in Berlin (2022) Netflix Original
- Seven Years in Tibet (1997)
- Silverton Siege (2022) Netflix Original
- Soul Surfer (2011)
- Summerland (2020)
- The Adolf Eichmann Trial (2011)
- The Bucket List (2007)
- The Gentlemen (2019)
- The Lake House (2006)
- The Mystery of Marilyn Monroe: The Unheard Tapes (2022) Netflix Original
- The Quick and the Dead (1995)
- U.S. Marshals (1998)
- War of the Worlds (2005)
- When Harry Met Sally… (1989)
- Youth v Gov (2020)
- You’ve Got Mail (1998)
13 New TV Series Added This Week
- Are You the One? (2 Seasons)
- Arpo (Season 1)
- Blippi Wonders (Season 1)
- Bullsh*t The Gameshow (Season 1) Netflix Original
- Grace and Frankie (Season 7 – Final Season) Netflix Original
- Komi Can’t Communicate (Season 1 – Part 2) Netflix Original
- LEGO: Friends (Seasons 1-5)
- Ozark (Season 4 Part 2) Netflix Original
- Samurai Rabbit: The Usagi Chronicles (Season 1) Netflix Original
- T-Rex Ranch (Season 1)
- The 7 Lives of Lea (Season 1) Netflix Original
- Transformers: Cyberverse (Season 3)
- Who Rules the World (Season 1 – New Episodes Weekly) Netflix Original
Most Popular Movies and Shows on Netflix This Week (2-8 May, 2022)
An unlikely movie hit the top of the Netflix movie chart in the US this week in the form of How It Ends. The 2018 Netflix Original didn’t exactly set the world alight when it was released four years ago but seemingly is finding an audience now.
- How It Ends (64 points)
- White Hot: The Rise & Fall of Abercrombie & Fitch (43 points)
- Shrek (42 points)
- 365 Days : This Day (40 points)
- Cleaner (38 points)
- The Mystery of Marilyn Monroe: The Unheard Tapes (36 points)
- Shrek Forever After (32 points)
- Silverton Siege (31 points)
- The Adam Project (22 points)
- Shrek 2 (22 points)
- 365 Days (18 points)
- Kung Fu Panda 3 (14 points)
- The Blind Side (14 points)
- Honeymoon With My Mother (9 points)
- Grown Ups (8 points)
- Gangubai Kathiawadi (5 points)
- Tyler Perry’s A Madea Homecoming (2 points)
Top Shows on Netflix US This Week
The reality series Selling Sunset continues to perform well in the US catapulting to the top of the charts. In an unlikely second place is the Spanish-language thriller series The Marked Heart.
- Selling Sunset (74 points)
- The Marked Heart (65 points)
- Conversations with a Killer: The John Wayne Gacy Tapes (57 points)
- Bridgerton (46 points)
- Married at First Sight (45 points)
- Anatomy of a Scandal (38 points)
- The Ultimatum: Marry or Move On (28 points)
- Ozark (20 points)
- Grace and Frankie (18 points)
- Bullsh*t The Gameshow (16 points)
- Hold Tight (16 points)
- Better Call Saul (10 points)
- CoComelon (4 points)
- Heartstopper (3 points)
Every Movie & TV Show Releasing In May 2022
3 Ninjas: Kick Back
A River Runs Through It
Are You the One? (season 6)
Blippi Wonders (season 1)
Crazy, Stupid, Love.
Den of Thieves
Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle
Hello, My Name Is Doris
Jackass: The Movie
Menace II Society
Once Upon a Time in America
Rambo: Last Blood
Road to Perdition
Seven Years in Tibet
The Lake House
U.S. Marshals (1998)
War of the Worlds
When Harry Met Sally
You’ve Got Mail
Octonauts: Above & Beyond: Season 2 — NETFLIX FAMILY
Hold Your Breath: The Ice Dive — NETFLIX DOCUMENTARY
40 Years Young — NETFLIX FILM
The Circle: Season 4 — NETFLIX SERIES
El marginal: Season 5 — NETFLIX SERIES
Meltdown: Three Mile Island — NETFLIX DOCUMENTARY
- This gripping four-part documentary series tells the story of ordinary people having the courage to do extraordinary things. Meltdown tackles the near catastrophe at Three Mile Island nuclear power plant in Pennsylvania through the lens of chief engineer and whistleblower, Richard Parks, as well as the community it impacted. Dramatic reenactments, archival footage, never-before-seen home video, and in-depth interviews bring viewers into the worst nuclear incident in U.S. history.
Summertime: Season 3 — NETFLIX SERIES
Blood Sisters: Season 5 — NETFLIX SERIES
Clark — NETFLIX SERIES
- Clark follows the man behind the expression “The Stockholm Syndrome” on his life journey as he fooled all of Sweden to fall in love with him, despite several counts of drug trafficking, attempted murder, assault, theft, and dozens of bank robberies. Based on the truths and lies revealed in Clark Olofsson’s autobiography and directed by Jonas Åkerlund, the series, starring Bill Skaragård, provides a fictional take on one of the most controversial personalities in contemporary Swedish history.
The Pentaverate — NETFLIX SERIES
- What if a secret society of five men has been working to influence world events for the greater good since the Black Plague of 1347? As this new series begins, one unlikely Canadian journalist finds himself embroiled in a mission to uncover the truth and just possibly save the world himself. Remember, the Pentaverate must never be exposed.
Thomas & Friends: All Engines Go: Season 1
Wild Babies — NETFLIX DOCUMENTARY
- Lush cinematography, sweeping vistas, and adorable animals in their natural habitats. Their brave journey toward adulthood is the ultimate adventure.
Along for the Ride — NETFLIX FILM
- It’s Auden’s last summer before college and she’s spending it in picturesque Colby Beach. While other teens party in the sun, loner Auden spends her time roaming the streets after everyone else is asleep. Everything changes when she meets Eli, a charming and mysterious fellow insomniac. On their nightly adventures, Eli challenges Auden to a quest to live out all her childhood dreams. Their connection pushes them to confront why they've been content living life in the shadows as they begin to show each other how to live life to the fullest. Based on the novel by Sarah Dessen and starring Emma Pasarow, Belmont Cameli, Kate Bosworth, Dermot Mulroney, and Andie MacDowell.
Marmaduke — NETFLIX FILM
- Animated. Messy and mischievous Marmaduke has a big heart but can't stay out of trouble. Does he have what it takes to shine in the swanky dog show world?
The Sound of Magic — NETFLIX SERIES
- A touching drama about Yoon Ah-yi, a girl who had to grow up too fast, and Rieul, a mysterious magician who, although grown up, wants to remain as a kid.
Thar — NETFLIX FILM
The Takedown — NETFLIX FILM
- Ousmane Diakité (Omar Sy) and François Monge (Laurent Lafitte) are two cops with very different styles, backgrounds and careers. The unlikely pair are reunited once again for a new investigation that takes them across France. What seemed to be a simple drug deal turns out to be a high scale criminal case wrapped in danger and unexpected comedy.
Welcome to Eden — NETFLIX SERIES
- Are you happy? With this question, Zoa and four young, attractive and social media active boys and girls are invited to the most exclusive party in history, set in a secret island and organized by the brand of a new drink. What starts as an exciting adventure will soon turn into the trip of their lives. But paradise is not really what it seems... Welcome to Eden.
Christina P: Mom Genes — NETFLIX COMEDY
Ghost in the Shell: SAC_2045 Sustainable War — NETFLIX ANIME
Outlander (season 5)
Workin’ Moms: Season 6 — NETFLIX SERIES
42 Days of Darkness — NETFLIX SERIES
- When Verónica disappears, her sister begins a race against time to find her. In her search, Cecilia will have to fight against the authorities’ negligence, society’s prejudices, and harassment from the media.
Brotherhood: Season 2 — NETFLIX SERIES
The Circle: Season 4 — NETFLIX SERIES (new episodes)
Operation Mincemeat — NETFLIX FILM
- It’s 1943 and the Allies are determined to break Hitler’s grip on occupied Europe, so they plan an all-out assault on Sicily, but they face an impossible challenge – how to protect a massive invasion force from potential massacre. It falls to two remarkable intelligence officers, Ewen Montagu (Colin Firth) and Charles Cholmondeley (Matthew Macfadyen), to dream the most inspired and improbable disinformation strategy of the war, centered on the most unlikely of secret agents: a dead man. Operation Mincemeat is the extraordinary and true story of an idea that hoped to alter the course of the war by defying logic, risking countless thousands of lives, and testing the nerves of its creators to breaking point.
Our Father — NETFLIX DOCUMENTARY
- Jacoba Ballard was an only child conceived via donor sperm who always dreamed of having a brother or sister. An at-home DNA test led her to the discovery of not one but seven half-siblings – a number that defied best practices in fertility medicine. As the group set out to learn more about their curious family tree, they soon discovered the sickening truth: their parents’ fertility doctor had been inseminating his patients with his own sperm, without their knowledge or consent. As Ballard and her newfound siblings realized they’ve barely begun to untangle his dark web of deceit, their pursuit of justice lies at the heart of this profoundly unsettling story about an unimaginable breach of trust.
The Getaway King — NETFLIX FILM
Maverix — NETFLIX COMEDY
Savage Beauty — NETFLIX SERIES
- Fifteen years ago, Don and Grace Bhengu tested a toxic product on a group of children living on the streets. Now one of the two survivors, Zinhle Manzini, returns to seek revenge. Zinhle becomes the invisible force that exposes family secrets, leading the Bhengus down a path of destruction, but innocent people get hurt along the way, while Zinhle’s own darkness threatens to consume her. Zinhle has to decide whether she wants justice or pure, cold revenge.
Bling Empire: Season 2 — NETFLIX SERIES
The Life and Movies of Ersan Kuneri — NETFLIX SERIES
The Lincoln Lawyer — NETFLIX SERIES
- Mickey Haller (Manuel Garcia-Rulfo), an iconoclastic idealist, runs his law practice out of the back seat of his Lincoln as he takes on cases big and small across the expansive city of Los Angeles. Based on the series of bestselling novels by Michael Connelly, the first season is based on the second book in The Lincoln Lawyer series, The Brass Verdict. Also starring are Neve Campbell, Becki Newton, Jazz Raycole and Angus Sampson.
New Heights — NETFLIX SERIES
Senior Year — NETFLIX FILM
PJ Masks (season 4)
Servant of the People (season 2-3)
Vampire in the Garden — NETFLIX ANIME
The Future Diary: Season 2 — NETFLIX SERIES
The Circle: Season 4 — NETFLIX SERIES (new episodes)
Cyber Hell: Exposing an Internet Horror — NETFLIX DOCUMENTARY
- This feature-length documentary tells the story of two female college students, a group of journalists, and the cybercrime police officers who chased down the “Nth Room”, an online criminal network of sexual exploitation. Crafted from interviews, archives, animation and reenactments, the film reveals how women and girls were coerced into uploading explicit materials of themselves to Telegram chat rooms, which ringleaders charged fees in cryptocurrency for tens of thousands of users to access. This is the story of one of the most devastating digital crimes that gripped the region, the age of digital anonymity that allowed it to thrive, and the victims who spoke out to help bring it down.
Love on the Spectrum U.S. — NETFLIX SERIES
The Perfect Family — NETFLIX FILM
Toscana — NETFLIX FILM
Who Killed Sara?: Season 3 — NETFLIX SERIES
A Perfect Pairing — NETFLIX FILM
- When Lola (Victoria Justice), a hard-driving LA wine company sales exec, quits her job in hopes of starting her own wine distribution company, she eagerly books herself a plane ticket to rural Australia to chase her first potential client, Vaughn Family Wines. Unfortunately for Lola, the Vaughn Family is not interested in doing business with a fledgling company. Eager to prove herself, Lola volunteers to fill a vacant position on the Vaughn sheep farm as a farmhand. At first, Lola doesn’t seem cut out for the tough work of mending fences and wrangling sheep, but she and the dashing station manager Max (Adam Demos) strike up a friendship as he trains her. As they open up to one another, Lola discovers that Australia has introduced her to much more than just a love for entrepreneurship with a newfound love for Max – but will Max’s secrets prevent Lola from reaping what she romantically sows?
The Boss Baby: Back in the Crib — NETFLIX FAMILY
The G Word with Adam Conover — NETFLIX DOCUMENTARY
Insiders: Season 2 — NETFLIX SERIES
The Photographer: Murder in Pinamar — NETFLIX DOCUMENTARY
Rodrigo Sant’Anna: I’ve Arrived — NETFLIX COMEDY
Ben in Back
F*ck Love Too — NETFLIX FILM
- Five couples have found love in their own way in different locations and situations, but how long will it last this time?
Love, Death & Robots: Volume 3 — NETFLIX SERIES
Wrong Side of the Tracks — NETFLIX SERIES
One Piece: New Episodes
Ghost in the Shell: SAC_2045: Season 2 — NETFLIX ANIME
Godspeed — NETFLIX FILM
Sea of Love — NETFLIX FAMILY
The Circle: Season 4 — NETFLIX SERIES (new episodes)
Larva Pendant — NETFLIX FILM
Somebody Feed Phil: Season 5 — NETFLIX SERIES
Insiders: Season 2 (new episodes)
My Little Pony: Make Your Mark — NETFLIX FAMILY
Pokemon Master Journeys: The Series: Part 3 — NETFLIX FAMILY
Stranger Things 4: Volume 1 — NETFLIX SERIES
- It’s been six months since the Battle of Starcourt, which brought terror and destruction to Hawkins. Struggling with the aftermath, our group of friends are separated for the first time and navigating the complexities of high school hasn't made things any easier. In this most vulnerable time, a new and horrifying supernatural threat surfaces, presenting a gruesome mystery that, if solved, might finally put an end to the horrors of the Upside Down.
Mighty Little Bheem: I Love Taj Mahal — NETFLIX FAMILY
Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (season 1)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (season 1)
| Top 200+ Best New Movies in May 2022 in Netflix, HBO, Amazon Prime, Hulu, Disney+, Paramount+ |
Find out the Top 200+ and Full List of the Best New Movies in May 2022 that coming out in Netflix, HBO, Amazon Prime, Hulu, ...
| Facts About Netflix Stock for Every Investor |
Netflix ( NFLX -1.73% ) has become a global force in the entertainment business. Being the first and biggest streaming service offered to consumers has ...
| Top 10 Best Korean Drama Series on Netflix Right Now |
2022 has been a year full of treats for K-drama fans with a multitude of amazing dramas? Are you ready for the top 10 best ...