FAQs for Premier League 2022/2023 and Opening Day
|Premier League 2022-23 FAQs|
Everything you need to about the 2022-2023 English Premier League Season
The English Premier League (EPL) new season will begin on the weekend of August 5/6/7 with the first game, Crystal Palace vs Arsenal. The start of the new Premier League season is one week earlier than the 2021/22 campaign started. However, the Premier League will halt in the middle of the season to accommodate a winter World Cup for the first time.
Below you can find answers to any questions about English Premier League in 2022 - 2023
For the season in 2022 - 2023, the newly promoted teams are Fulham, Bournemouth, and Nottingham Forest. The Premier League matches will be stopped during the months of November and December when the players will travel to Qatar with their respective nations to play in the World Cup.
Norwich, Watford, and Burnley are the clubs that have been relegated after last season. Manchester City who were champions last year will be out to defend their title in the upcoming season and target three consecutive Premier League trophy wins.
When Will 2022-2023 Premier League Season Start?
Much to the excitement of football fans around the world, the Premier League finally returns on August 5 as Crystal Palace host Arsenal in the opening match, the first of 380 English top-flight matches scheduled to take place this season.
August 6, 2022 is the opening Saturday of the 2022-23 season. The Premier League is starting earlier than usual due to the break in November/December for the 2022 World Cup in Qatar.
♦ Check more the opning fixtures: Premier League 2022/23 Opening Fixtures: Watch Haaland and Nunez Debut
When did Premier League 2022-23 season fixtures release?
The Premier League fixtures for the 2022-23 season were announced on Thursday June 16, 2022 at 4am ET.
The Premier League fixture computer will decide who plays who and when, as teams located close to one another are usually playing at home on opposite weekends to help with policing, crowd control and transport congestion in those areas.
Below is the full schedule, as we will have more details on where to watch all 380 games:
| 2022-2023 Premier League Full Fixtures: Dates for All 380 Matches |
Find out the full dates for all 380 matches for the new season of 2022 - 2023 English Premier League starting from 5 August. Here ...
When will the Premier League take a break for the 2022 World Cup?
The season will take a pause after Match round 16, which ends on November 13. After the World Cup is finished on Dec. 18, Premier League games will then restart on December 26.
When will the 2022-2023 Premier League Finish?
The final day of the season will be on Sunday, May 28, 2023.
How many teams will compete in the Premier League 2022-2023 season?
These are the 20 teams which will compete in the Premier League for the upcoming season:
Arsenal, Aston Villa, Bournemouth, Brentford, Brighton and Hove Albion, Chelsea, Crystal Palace, Everton, Fulham, Leeds United, Leicester City, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United, Newcastle United, Nottingham Forest, Southampton, Tottenham Hotspur, West Ham United, Wolverhampton Wanderers.
How will the 2022 FIFA World Cup affect the Premier League Season?
The Premier League will undergo a pause after 16 game weeks. With the games getting concluded for Gameweek 16 on 12-13th November, there will be a stop in play. The Premier League is set to resume once again on boxing day, i.e 26th December 2022.
The first games for the World Cup will be played on 21st November while the finals will take place on 18th December. 8 days after the conclusion of the final, the Premier League 2022-23 season will resume.
Who is the defending Pl 2022-23 champion?
Manchester City are the defending PL 2022-23 champions.
Who is promoted for the EPL 2022-23 season?
Fulham, Bournemouth and Nottingham Forrest will be the new addition for the PL 2022-23 season.
Which 2022/23 Premier League team has the best win ratio on the opening matchday in competition history?
Brentford hold a 100% winning record on the opening day after defeating Arsenal 2-0 last season on their top-flight debut. Of teams that have played in more than one Premier League season, newly promoted Nottingham Forest actually hold the strongest winning percentage, winning four out of five.
Spare a thought for Southampton fans, who have remarkably only ever seen their side win two of their 23 previous opening Premier League fixtures.
Which channel will broadcast the EPL 2022-23 season?
StarSports Select SD and HD will broadcast/live telecast the PL 2022-23 season.
Which platform will live stream the EPL 2022-23 season?
Disney+Hotstar will Live Stream the PL 2022-23 season.
UK: Matches are carried across Sky Sports and BT Sport streaming and TV platforms, with select matches on Amazon Prime.
USA: Select matches are televised on USA Network (English) and Telemundo or Universo (Spanish), and all three channels can be streamed on fuboTV. The rest of the matches are streamed on NBC platform Peacock for subscribers.
Canada: Every Premier League game streams live and on demand exclusively via fuboTV.
Australia: Fans in Australia can stream matches live and on demand on Optus Sport.
Premier League Opening Day: Current Records
♦ The biggest victory ever recorded on the opening day of a Premier League campaign came in 2010/11 when Chelsea demolished West Bromwich Albion 6-0.
♦ Only 10 players have scored a hat-trick on the opening day of the season: Coventry City duo Mick Quinn and Dion Dublin, Southampton's Matt Le Tissier, Middlesbrough's Fabrizio Ravanelli, Forest's Kevin Campbell, Aston Villa's Gabriel Agbonlahor, Chelsea's Didier Drogba, Manchester City's Raheem Sterling, Liverpool's Mohamed Salah and Manchester United's Bruno Fernandes.
♦ Alan Shearer, Frank Lampard and Wayne Rooney jointly hold the record for scoring the most goals in Premier League openers, each netting eight times. Salah and Jamie Vardy could equal that record this season as they sit on seven.
♦ Last season, thanks to a 74th-minute strike against Norwich City, Liverpool's Salah before the first player in Premier League history to score on five consecutive opening weekends.
♦ The only team to remain unbeaten across their past 10 Premier League openers are Everton (W4, D6).
♦ At the other end of the spectrum, Southampton are the team who currently find themselves on the longest winless streak across top-flight openers, not winning any of the previous eight and losing the most recent three (D4, L4).
Premier League Opening Matchday Fixtures
1.Crystal Palace vs. Arsenal
- Arsenal begin their season away to Crystal Palace, a side they’ve beaten just once across their past eight Premier League meetings (D5, L2).
- Overall, Arsenal have only ever lost three of their 24 competitive away matches against Palace (W13, D8), though that includes a 3-0 defeat at Selhurst Park last season.
- These two sides have only met on matchday one of a Premier League season once before. That came in 2014, with Arsenal winning 2-1 at Emirates Stadium thanks to goals from Aaron Ramsey and Laurent Koscielny.
- When opening a PL campaign on the road, Arsenal's record stands at W5, D3, L2.
2.Fulham vs. Liverpool
- Liverpool open up the 2022/23 PL season with a trip to Craven Cottage to face newly-promoted Fulham, a side they haven’t beaten in back-to-back top-flight matches (D1, L1).
- That said, the Reds remain four unbeaten against Fulham at Craven Cottage (W3, D1) and have only been kept off the scoresheet once across their past nine PL away matches versus Fulham.
- These two sides have never met on the opening day of a top-flight season before, though this fixture does represent the fourth season in a row that Liverpool have played the prior campaign's Championship winners on the opening weekend.
- Liverpool new signing Fabio Carvalho could make his debut after joining Jurgen Klopp's from Fulham over the summer. He scored 12 goals and grabbed 8 assists in 44 appearances for the London side in 2021/22.
3.Bournemouth vs. Aston Villa
- This will be just the sixth competitive meeting between these two sides. Bournemouth have won three of the four previous Premier League head-to-head clashes, with all of those victories coming via a 2-1 scoreline.
- Bournemouth's only previous loss to Villa in the top-flight did come on matchday one of the 2015/16 campaign however, a 1-0 defeat courtesy of a Rudy Gestede header.
- Aston Villa also played a newly promoted side on the opening weekend last season, losing 3-2 in an action-packed visit to Watford.
4.Newcastle United vs. Nottingham Forest
- These two famous clubs have only met eight times in Premier League history, with Newcastle remaining unbeaten across that stint (W5, D3).
- The Magpies have a combined scoreline of 15-4 in their favour, while they've also won four out of four on home soil 12-2 on aggregate.
- This will be Forest's first top-flight fixture since they won 1-0 at home to local rivals Leicester City in May 1999. A week prior to that, they won 2-1 on the road at Blackburn Rovers, who were also relegated that season.
5.Leicester City vs. Brentford
- Leicester have won all four of their competitive matches against Brentford, with both in the Premier League last season coming via a 2-1 scoreline thanks to James Maddison winners.
- The Foxes have scored in each of those four previous clashes, though they've also failed to register a clean sheet in the most recent three.
6.Tottenham vs. Southampton
- Spurs have only lost four of their previous 23 home PL matches against Southampton, winning by an aggregate scoreline of 55-26.
- That said, the north Londoners lost this exact fixture last season in dramatic fashion, going down 3-2 on account of a late Che Adams winner.
- These two sides have met on the opening day of a PL season once before, all the way back during the 1992/93 campaign where they played out a 0-0 stalemate at the Dell.
7.Leeds United vs. Wolves
- Leeds' dramatic 3-2 win at Molineux last season was their first victory over Wolves in seven attempts.
- Across their past four head-to-head competitive matches, Leeds have netted just once against Wolves.
- Leeds have lost their previous two opening Premier League fixtures after gaining promotion back to the English top-flight in 2019/20. Those defeats to Liverpool and Manchester United come in contrast to their run of not losing on the opening day of a Premier League season throughout their prior 14 campaigns.
8.Everton vs. Chelsea
- Chelsea begin their Premier League season with a trip to Goodison Park to face Everton. The Londoners have lost their past four away PL meetings with the Toffees, scoring just one goal.
- In fact, Chelsea have won just once at Goodison Park across their previous eight visits (D1, L6).
- These two sides have only met once on matchday one, playing out a 0-0 draw at Stamford Bridge in 1995.
- Chelsea’s opening day Premier League record when playing away from home remains strong, however (W7, D2, L3).
9..Manchester United vs. Brighton
- Manchester United open their 2022/23 campaign by welcoming Brighton to Old Trafford, a side they’ve beaten in all five of their previous home Premier League head-to-head matches.
- In each of the past four home meetings, United have scored at least two goals.
- When opening a new Premier League campaign at Old Trafford, Manchester United have only lost once, a 2-1 defeat to Swansea in 2014 (W13, D3).
- For the sixth straight campaign, Manchester United are playing their opening Premier League fixture on home soil, the longest current such streak of any side.
10.West Ham vs. Manchester City
- Manchester City open up the 2022/23 season with a trip to face West Ham, a side they remain unbeaten against in their past 13 PL meetings (W10, D3).
- City are also seven unbeaten away to West Ham in the Premier League, scoring a staggering average of 3.14 goals per game. West Ham last managed to keep a home clean sheet against City since November 2012, although the two most recent editions of this fixture in east London were both draws.
- City have played away to West Ham on the opening day of a PL season twice previously, winning 2-0 back in August 2007 before winning 5-0 on matchday one of the 2019/20 campaign thanks to goals from Sergio Aguero, Gabriel Jesus and a hat-trick from Raheem Sterling.
- Erling Haaland has previously scored on his competition debut in the Bundesliga, the UEFA Champions League and the DFB-Pokal. He remarkably netted hat-tricks on both his German top-flight and Champions League bows.