How to Apply MEXT - Japanese Government Scholarships For International Students
|MEXT - Japanese Government Scholarships For International Students|
|Table of Contents|
Overview: Foreign Students In Universities of Japan
Japan may be the place for you if you wish to further your studies in a creative and modern country. Japan's universities have it all: world-class academic facilities, great research prospects, and proven ground-breaking programs. They are especially kind to overseas students, who are considered as contributing to a multicultural environment and supporting free thought.
Japan is widely recognized as one of the best countries in the world, having low crime rates. This is one of the most important factors to consider for overseas students. In addition to being extremely kind and supportive, the Japanese have wonderful scholarships and grants to help both foreign and native students pursue higher education.
Over 140,000 foreign students attend universities in Japan, confirming the country's popularity once again. With warm weather, travel, and a culture-rich lifestyle, this may be the ideal spot for any passionate student. We shall look at Japanese government scholarships for international students in this article.
♦ Check more: Top 12 Most Prestigious International Schools In Japan
What is MEXT Scholarship Awards
MEXT Scholarship - Quick Facts
Website: To know more about MEXT Scholarship, please visit official website Here!
Level of Study: Undergraduate / Masters / PhD / Training
Institution(s): Japanese Universities
Study in: Japan
Courses Offered: All types of courses offered in all Japanese Universities from Social Science to Engineering, Medical to Health, Arts, Humanities, etc. There are No Academic Fields Restrictions.
Program Period: Undergraduate: 4-5 Years, Masters: 2-3 Years, PhD: 3-4 Years
MEXT Scholarship Deadline: Varies from Embassy to Embassy
MEXT award is an entirely free award for students from abroad. This grant is offered for undergraduate, graduate, doctoral, and training programs. The MEXT scholarship will pay for your tuition, housing, monthly living expenses, and round-trip air passage from your nation to Japan.
Under the Japanese Government (MEXT) Scholarships Program, the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT) of Japan provides financial aid to foreign students who want to pursue undergraduate or graduate-level research degrees at Japanese universities.
Depending on the curriculum, MEXT (Japanese Government Scholarships) are offered to six distinct kinds of students.
Those for scientific majors, those pursuing teacher education, undergraduates, those interested in Japanese studies, those attending technological colleges, and those pursuing advanced training colleges. These government scholarships are intended to assist international students with their financial difficulties so they can live comfortably and complete their degree. Research opportunities in Japan enrich people's lives while also fostering international partnerships.
The most crucial thing to keep in mind is that these scholarships fully cover tuition costs, and depending on the subject of study, there may also be additional financial aid available in the form of a travel allowance (airline ticket provided) and a monthly stipend. Undergraduate students earn about $1,000 per month, while postgraduate students receive about $1,300 per month to help with additional living expenses. The stipend is dependent on the course.
Undergraduate and graduate students who are recommended by the embassy or the institution are eligible for these awards. Depending on the degree, the scholarships might last up to 5 years for undergraduate students and up to 7 years for students studying medicine and dentistry. Graduate students are eligible for a scholarship that includes Japanese language instruction and is valid for one year and six months.
This scholarship will provide the recipient with the following benefits:
Allowances: Monthly Stipend Allowance, Preparatory Allowance
Education Fees: Fees for the Entrance Examination, Tuition Fee at Universities will be paid by MEXT.
Traveling Expenses: Transportation to Japan: MEXT will cover your Round Airfare Travel Expenses from your Country to Japan. The Airline ticket will be an Economy-class ticket for the flight.
Accommodations: Residence halls for international students provided by universities.
Eligibility Criteria for Japanese Government Scholarship
|Japanese Government Scholarship|
Students must fulfill a number of requirements, which change depending on the program, in order to be eligible for Japanese Government Scholarships. There are some prerequisites that apply to everyone, such as not being a resident of Japan and getting a necessary student visa.
Candidates for undergraduate degrees must be at least 17 years old, under 25 years old, and have at least one 12-year-old degree under their belts. For MEXT scholarships, it is frequently necessary that the applicant be prepared to study Japanese and enroll in Japanese-language courses.
Graduate students must be younger than 35 at the time of admission. Candidates must either be graduates of Japanese universities or possess academic qualifications equal to or greater than those of a Japanese graduate.
For some programs, such as teacher training, there are additional requirements, such as a minimum age requirement of 35 and a minimum of five years of teaching experience for applicants. Additionally, students majoring in Japanese language or culture at a college or university outside of Japan must be between the ages of 18 and 30.
To qualify for MEXT Scholarship, candidate must fulfill all of the following requirements below:
• Required Language: English
• Eligible Countries: All world countries
• Applicants must have the nationality of a country that has diplomatic relations with Japan.
• An applicant who has Japanese nationality at the time of application is not eligible.
• For Undergraduate Students: You must be at least 17 and under 25 years of age and have completed 12 years of school education or have completed courses in a school comparable to a high school (includes prospective graduates)
• For Masters / PhD Students: You must be under 35 years of age and a college graduate (includes prospective graduates). Or you must have completed 16 years / 18 years of education.
• For Teacher training students: You must be a recent college or teacher preparation college graduate and under 35 years old. You must have at least five years of current teaching experience in your nation's elementary, secondary, or teacher preparation institutions.
• For Japanese Study Students: Candidates must be between the ages of 18 and 30. When applicants arrive in Japan, they must be enrolled as undergraduate students in faculties or schools that specialize in Japanese language or culture at a university outside of Japan, and they must be enrolled in the home institution when they depart for their home countries.
How to Apply to MEXT Scholarship
Steps to Apply for MEXT Scholarship
Please follow the following application instructions to apply for MEXT Scholarship:
• Find the Japanese Embassy or Consulate of your country from here.
• Visit the website of Japanese Embassy of your country. Under the Education / Scholarship tab, you will find the MEXT scholarship.
• Download the MEXT scholarship application form and fill it.
• Submit the required documents (list given below) to Japanese Embassy of your country.
• A written test will be conducted by the Japanese Embassy. Find Sample Written Test with Answers Here.
• After that interviews of the candidates will be conducted.
• The successful candidates will be informed through email or embassy website.
Applying for a Japanese government scholarship can be done in one of two ways: through the embassy or by recommendations from nearby universities. Both approaches call for specific documentation and further testing. Academic success and general love for the Japanese language and culture are taken into consideration when choosing candidates. For further details, please visit the MEXT Scholarships Application Page.
1. Embassy recommendations
The Embassy route is the initial method for submitting a MEXT application. You must obtain the information on the Japan Embassy homepage in your home country if you are applying through the Embassy. For instance, if you are from India, you would visit the website of the Indian embassy in Japan. Depending on the school, exams are also offered for the Embassy recommendations. The majority of institutions demand fluency in both Japanese and English, although depending on the subject, extra math requirements as well as physics, chemistry, or biology tests may also apply.
The recommendation period normally begins in April and may run up to a year. The student is questioned and checked at the embassy after receiving the required papers. By the end of August, the embassy had suggested the selected applicants to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs on behalf of the MEXT (Japanese Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science, and Technology).
In addition to embassy recommendations, potential MEXT Scholarship recipients must demonstrate a willingness to learn the Japanese language and a general enthusiasm for Japanese culture and lifestyle. It would be a good idea to master the fundamentals of the Japanese language even before you travel to Japan for this reason, among others. The Japanese language is seen as being required, despite the fact that there are courses offered in English.
2. University recommendations
A national, public, or private institution in Japan can also suggest you for a government scholarship. The university offers specific recommendations for the chosen candidates to the Japanese Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science, and Technology. In September or October, university-accredited students depart for Japan.
The student is responsible for providing the necessary paperwork for MEXT scholarships, which may include a letter of recommendation, proof of identity (such as a passport or driver's license), documentation of previous employment and records, a health certificate, and documentation of any particular academic or linguistic skills. Here is a description of the complete application procedure.
Documents Required for MEXT Scholarship
1. MEXT Scholarship Application form
2. The highest degree verified with official stamps.
- Bachelors program applicants: 12 Years of Education
- Master’s program applicants: Bachelor’s degree
- Ph.D. program applicants: Master’s degree
Note: If the degree is not in English, a notarized copy of a translation in English is required.
3. The highest degree Transcript verified with official stamps. (Including Grading system)
- Bachelors program applicants: 12 Years of Education
- Master’s program applicants: Bachelor’s degree Transcripts
- Ph.D. program applicants: Master’s degree Transcripts
Note: If the diploma is not in English, a notarized copy of a translation in English or is required.
4. Two recommendation letters: The letters of recommendation must be written in either English or Spanish by the applicant's professors, mentors, or employers (who can assess your academic performance and research potential). (For students doing research)5. Passport Scan (if available at the time of application)
6. Curriculum Vitae (CV) (for research students)
8. Study plan / Statement of purpose. English is used to write the study schedule. The fundamental information must cover the applicant's motivation, educational and research background, and intended APU studies. (For students doing research)
9. English Language Proficiency Document: Those students whose language institute was in English can Submit English Proficiency Certificate from their Home University & they are exempted from Language Test.
10. Academic thesis or relevant publications (for research students)
11. Other reference documents (if applicable)
In summary, Japan is a country that demonstrates a strong emphasis on future-oriented development while also safeguarding its historical legacy and cultural heritage. Consequently, there has been a growing trend of admitting an increasing number of international students annually, who exhibit enthusiasm in contributing to the future creative society. The colleges exhibit a progressive approach and demonstrate a strong dedication to education in all aspects. The institution is cultivating individuals of exceptional caliber who possess not just a comprehensive education, but also demonstrate qualities of empathy and humility.
Universities maintain a close collaborative relationship with the state and government, thereby facilitating a substantial provision of Japanese Government scholarships for international students. With the availability of affordable living costs in Japan and the provision of additional financial support, there are no limitations to achieving a well-balanced student lifestyle.
We trust that the information provided in this article pertaining to Japanese Government scholarships for international students has proven to be informative. For individuals with an inclination towards pursuing education in a foreign country, it is advisable to thoroughly explore the assortment of programs that cater specifically to international students.
| Top 35+ Most Prestigious USA Scholarships For International Students 2024/2025 |
Will you be starting your educational journey in the United States? Scholarship opportunities for international students studying in the United States are plentiful.
| Top 40+ Most Prestigious Biology Scholarships in the U.S Today |
A biology degree may be expensive, but it's an investment in your future. Do you have any idea of the best biology fellowships in the ...
| Top 30+ Best Private Scholarships for Teachers & Educators In The U.S |
Find the best funding opportunities for English, History, PE, the Arts, and Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math teachers here.
| How to Apply to Australian Government Scholarships: Eligibility Criteria, Available Programs and Procedures |
This analysis aims to examine the most recent and appropriate scholarship programs offered by the Australian Government for students from overseas.