10 Largest & Best International Health Insurance Companies for Expats and Immigrants
|10 Largest And Best International Health Insurance Companies for Expats and Immigrants|
International healthcare plans may offer additional benefits such as dental, vision, maternity, prescription drugs, and other coverage options. Some of these benefits are included in the base plan while some are optional add-ons that come with an additional premium.
There are many resources online to help you make your decision before purchasing the best international insurance for you. In this post, we figure out the top 10 best international health insurance companies for expats and immigrants.
Which Global Health Insurance Plan Is Right for You?
Coming up with the best insurer can be tough, as each plan they offer comes with different strengths and weaknesses. The aim is to find the best plan for your specific needs and budget. To help narrow down your search, we suggest you start with an established international health insurance company with a strong presence both in the country where you will be living as well as in your home country.
As your broker, we can generate a few quotes from two or more global medical insurance providers which you can then compare side-by-side. Since policy cost is an essential factor in choosing a plan, you need to consider carving out benefits that you do not need.
Some plans are highly customizable, giving you the reins to pick and choose the benefits to include or remove in the policy. Other global medical insurance plans are comprehensive but will allow you to adjust certain benefits as well as deductible amounts to lower your premiums.
The international health insurance cost plays a big role in selecting a service provider. Simply choosing the insurance provider offering the lowest rates is fine, but understand that your choice may end up costing you more if something goes wrong. Pick one that can cover all your medical needs when the time comes.
How much does International Health Insurance cost?
The annual cost of an international health insurance plan will range from as low as $500, with limited benefits, to as much as $8,000 for a comprehensive global medical insurance plan, including coverage in the USA.
The average cost is $5,000 per year. Costs, or premiums, are based on a policyholder’s age, medical history, and area of coverage (typically not on an individual’s claims history), as well as the deductible and maximum coverage, selected.
Plans will normally offer two areas of cover; Worldwide or Worldwide excluding the USA. Excluding cover in the USA will save significant costs. With some plans, you have the option of excluding countries like Canada, Hong Kong, and other more expensive countries for treatment. Treatment in these countries is more expensive. At times, international insurance providers (i.e., GeoBlue and Cigna) will rank countries by medical costs and have premiums adjusted accordingly.
Who do these International Health Insurance services cover?
The insurances below cover these emigrants and expatriates around the world:
- British people
- New Zealanders
And people from almost every other country on the planet who live abroad
And expatriates/immigrants living in:
- France (European Union / Schengen Area as a whole)
- United Kingdom
- China (and Hong Kong)
And for citizens living in almost every other country in the world
In short, no matter where you are from or where you intend to live, most of the international insurance plans below may apply to you.
What are the International Health Insurance Companies for Expats and Immigrants?
7. Generali Global Assistance
8. Allianz Worldwide
9. Global Underwriters
10. Foyer Global Health
Top 10 Best International Health Insurance Companies for Expats and Immigrants
Cigna Global is a highly reputable worldwide insurance provider that caters to individuals and families living abroad in more than 200 countries worldwide. Their mission is to help and improve the health, well-being, and sense of security of the people they serve.
Cigna International Health Plans are comprehensive, flexible, and designed to meet all your needs. The plans are customizable, allowing you to choose and only pay for the coverage you need.
The Cigna international health plan offers three levels of coverage: Cigna Silver, Cigna Gold, and Cigna Platinum. Each plan provides cover for inpatient and day-patient care with the option to add outpatient care and other elective modules. You can also choose your desired area of coverage.
With Cigna Global health benefits, you will gain access to the company's vast international healthcare network of trusted hospitals, doctors, and other healthcare professionals. Cigna's network is especially helpful if the local healthcare system in your residence country is too expensive or is known for providing inadequate service. Cigna Global's customer relations team will help you find the best doctors and medical facilities to provide you with the healthcare you need and deserve.
IMG Global Medical Insurance is an expat health insurance plan designed to provide you and your family with worldwide medical coverage. Available to all nationalities, the IMG Global Medical Plan is ideal for international citizens living and working outside of their home country and provides some of the most comprehensive benefits available backed with worldwide service. The plan is fully customizable, with multiple levels of coverage, two options for an area of coverage, five optional add-on riders, multiple deductible options, and four modes of payment available. When you buy IMG health insurance, you can get the exact plan that satisfies your family's health needs at the right budget for you.
With an IMG Global Medical insurance plan, you can select a tier with a benefits package that is most aligned with your needs. All plans include coverage for hospital care, outpatient care, prescriptions, chemotherapy and radiation, physical therapy, organ transplants, emergency evacuation. Each one even includes a Healthy Travel supplement for vaccinations and other preventative medical care before you embark on a journey. You can also add on coverage for terrorism, sports, dental and vision, and accidental death and dismemberment. IMG Global health insurance also offers add-on global term life insurance that, unlike your home policy, will pay your heirs if misfortune should befall you no matter where you are in the world.
Aetna International has been a world leader in global health benefits for more than five decades. They promise to build a healthier world by developing solutions to improve the quality, affordability, and accessibility of international health care. Aetna's highest priority is providing its members with services that meet their needs. Therefore representatives are available 24/7/365. Aetna has more than 160 years of healthcare experience, they have specialized in worldwide benefits for more than 55 years and has built a growing global footprint to ensure you can get service wherever you travel. They have received prestigious awards as “Top IPMI Plan” and “Health Insurer of the Year.”Aetna is a global brand and offers reasonable rates alongside excellent benefits and service.
Aetna International offers an option for US and Canadian citizens, MHP, and another for residents outside of the US and Canada, Pioneer. Both plans provide rich coverage and a high level of service. Aetna plans are not provided to foreigners residing in the USA and selecting other countries.
Whether you are an expatriate, an international citizen, a traveling individual, or a migrating family, the Xplorer Health Plan from GeoBlue Health Insurance provides you with coverage inside and outside the U.S. Their policies give access to a premier network of doctors and hospitals. Expect to experience excellent client service and a flexible design to suit your needs.
The Xplorer Plan from GeoBlue Health Insurance is one of the best international health plans available today. It combines comprehensive worldwide benefits with a new generation of medical assistance services. These services include an impressive array of online and mobile tools that allow subscribers to identify, access, and pay for quality healthcare worldwide.
GeoBlue Xplorer gives you the liberty to access quality healthcare services inside and outside the U.S. If you need benefits outside the U.S. only, we highly recommend exploring the GeoBlue Xplorer Essential plan.
The Xplorer Essential and Premier plan rates are based on deductible, age, coverage area, and additional benefits. GeoBlue offers three coverage options: No U.S. Benefits, Basic U.S. Benefits, and Comprehensive/Full U.S. Benefits. Adding U.S. coverage to a plan will increase the price. Therefore do not purchase U.S. coverage if you do not plan on traveling to or living in the U.S.
Deductible options (see benefits table above) are based on medical coverage Outside the U.S., U.S. In-Network, and U.S. Out-of-Network. The Xplorer Essential and Premier plan deductibles range from $0-$5,000. The Xplorer Premier plan also has the option to add co-insurance.
If you’re a digital nomad, then SafetyWing is, without a doubt, one of the best options out there when it comes to international insurance for expats, digital nomads, or even remote workers.
Featuring an easy, upbeat website design (nothing like a duck with hands and spaceships to put you in the mood for getting some travel medical insurance!) and insurance policies that cover both medical and travel issues. Plus, you get 30 days of coverage back home for every 90 days you spend abroad (very rare for other insurance companies).
- You have lots of options for personalizing your plan
- Their website is very easy to use and makes it very clear how much you’ll pay for your plan and what each plan does and doesn’t cover
- They also cover children up to 10 for no extra fees
- You can add coverage for extra medical services including dental, maternity, deductible expenses, and outpatient services like physical therapy or family medicine
- You get coverage up to $100,000 USD in repatriation after an evacuation
- You receive a daily allowance if you’re treated at a public hospital where there are no expenses or where the treatment is covered by some other insurance (in these cases, you receive $125 USD per night for up to 30 nights)
- There is coverage and full reimbursement for cancer treatment and reconstructive surgeries
- They have 24/7 support no matter where you are in the world
- They offer COVID-19 coverage based on recommendations from a doctor
- They cover visits to your home country for 30 days every 90 days
- Their website is fun and much more entertaining than your average insurance company
Headquartered in France, AXA is one of the leading life and health insurance companies, with operating bases around the world. It offers five different international insurance policies: Foundation, Standard, Comprehensive, Prestige, and Prestige Plus.
AXA SA (AXA) is a France-based holding company engaged in the business of financial protection. AXA offers a broad range of products through business segments: Life & Savings, Property & Casualty, Health, Asset Management, and Banking. Its offering covers motor, household, property and general liability insurance, banking, savings vehicles, and other investment-based products for both Personal/Individual and Commercial/Group customers, as well as health, protection, and retirement products for individual or professional customers. AXA operates in seven geographical segments: France, Europe, Asia, AXA XL, the United States, International and Transversal & Central Holdings. AXA SA is the holding company of AXA Group.
7. Generali Global Assistance
Founded as far back as 1831, the Generali Group is part of Europ Assistance and aimed mostly at health insurance for businesses with globally mobile employees and employee groups.
There are three different “core plans”, Select, Classic, and Premier, and three additional outpatient options. Compliant worldwide, including North America.
From travel insurance to identity theft protection, GGA is a proven partner in reducing distress, providing peace of mind, and above all, putting people first in times of need.
The Europ Assistance (EA) Group, which GGA is proudly a part of, has been a leader in the assistance industry since its founding in 1963. The EA Group is a division of the multinational Generali Group which for over 185 years has created a presence in 60 countries with over 76,000 employees. Their success has been built on the foundation of trust that clients have placed in their ability to provide assistance in the most difficult of circumstances. GGA is always behind the scenes offering their partner’s customers and employees expertise, support, and peace of mind.
8. Allianz Worldwide
Allianz Worldwide is a division of Allianz Worldwide Partners and part of the Allianz Group. The company is one of the biggest providers in the world, Allianz is well known for its broad network and for providing excellent international medical insurance for employees. Another capable, experienced, and well-known insurance company, Allianz offers three different coverage plans, Essential, Classic, and Premier, with optional add-ons, such as maternity and dental coverage.
Allianz Care offers health, life, and disability insurance as well as a wide range of health and protection services to organizations and insurance partners globally. They look after the health and wellbeing of over 770,000 people worldwide, providing solutions to consumers, small businesses, large multinationals, IGOs, NGOs, and government organizations. Our products help organizations to attract and retain staff and protect their health and wellbeing. Allianz Care has the widest range of health benefits in the market. They help organizations to support and protect their staff in an unpredictable world. Allianz Care is a product line within Allianz Partners, which is part of the Allianz Group of companies. Allianz Partners' global family of over 17,000 employees is present in 76 countries, speaks 70 languages, and handles 44 million cases per year, protecting customers and employees on all continents.
9. Global Underwriters
Another good security option for emigrants and expatriates is Global Underwriters, this is a company that has been in the market for years and serves a variety of customer profiles.
One of GU’s great differentials is its plans designed especially for the needs of travelers. Among them, Diplomat Long Term and Diplomat International stand out as great options for expatriates. However, if you plan to reside for a period of time in the US, I recommend the Diplomat America plan which has more coverage in the country.
- Diplomat Long Term and Diplomat International plans have medical coverage of up to $1 million
- Both plans cover emergency medical evacuations and emergency dentistry
- Diplomat Long Term and Diplomat International plans include up to $1 million in expenses related to accidental death and dismemberment and cover repatriation of remains
- Global Underwriters plans also cover the costs of lost luggage and interruptions during travel
10. Foyer Global Health
Foyer Health is one of the biggest companies in the world when it comes to global health insurance for ex-pats. They are a part of the Foyer Group, a European Giant that offers you many policy options to choose from.
- You can personalize your coverage based on many factors: your age, country of origin, dental coverage, eye coverage, vaccines, maternity care & children
- You can choose a level of coverage (from nothing to the maximum) for each of these factors
- You can choose an insurance policy for just one person, for a family with no children, or for a family with children
- Even if you don’t get coverage for the United States, you’ll still get emergency medical coverage in the country
- It’s easy and quick to get a quote (you don’t need to put in a lot of personal info like most other insurance websites)
- You can choose from many deductible options
- They have short-term plans if you’ll only be in another country temporarily
- You can compare plans to decide which is best for you
- They offer health coverage for ex-pats in all of Europe
Additional Top International Medical Insurance Companies
- Now Health International offers quality medical coverage for foreigners living abroad throughout the world. Their Now Health WorldCare Plan offers comprehensive benefits, including cover in the USA, for the discerning client. A more affordable option, as USA cover is excluded, is their SimpleCare.
- International Medical Group– IMG offers a wide range of products, from trip cancellation to long-term international medical (IMG Global Medical). For more than 20 years, IMG has provided international affordable medical and travel insurance to the worldwide community insuring clients in more than 170 countries worldwide.
- IntegraGlobal is a U.K. company with service offices worldwide in Europe, North America, and Asia. They specialize in providing health plans to organizations and individuals with unique protection needs, including expats, marine professionals, and specialized risks. IntegraGlobal aims to develop unique international health options that offer outstanding protection, excellent value, and hands-on unbeatable personal service.
- BUPA International Plan– BUPA has over 65 years of expertise and dedication to health. They have a global team of advisers and health experts who, between them, speak multiple languages – and a high level of service. These are just a few of the things that Bupa Global believes make them different.
How to Compare the Best Global Insurance Companies
International Insurance has created a simple comparison of the best health international insurance in the world to help in your research. To keep it simple this includes four of the top international health insurance companies. You can compare other companies against these three to ensure they are compared on the same terms. The other considerations are the AM Best ratings of the providers which give you an indication of the financial stability of each insurer.
| 10 Best Life Insurance Companies In India: Cheapest Quotes and Good Services |
What are the top 10 best life insurance companies in India? If you want to buy insurance for your family in India, this post will ...
| 10 Best Life Insurance Companies In Australia: Cheapest Quotes and Good Services |
What are the top 10 best life insurance companies in Australia: Cheapest Quotes and Good Services? If you want to buy insurance for your family ...
| 10 Best Life Insurance Companies In South Africa: Cheapest Quotes and Good Services |
What are the top 10 best life insurance companies in South Africa: Cheapest Quotes and Good Services?