What is Yule – Origin, Celebrations and Happy messages and Quotes
The origin of Yule celebration
Yule is the shortness day of the year. This German occasion celebrates Goddess giving birth to God and is a happy occasion which includes lighting fires and candles, decorating Yule tree, celebrating return of sun with drums and feasting with family and friends.
Turning an eye to the Germanic-Scandinavian context also provides intriguing connections. In the Norse religion, Yule was a winter festival celebrated during the period we now roughly associate with December.
The beginning of Yule was marked by the arrival of the Wild Hunt, a spiritual occurrence when the Norse god Odin would ride across the sky on his eight-legged white horse.
While the hunt was a frightening sight to behold, it also brought excitement for families, and especially children, as Odin was known to leave little gifts at each household as he rode past.
Like the Roman Saturnalia, Yule was a time of drawing in for the winter months, during which copious amounts of food and drink would be consumed.
The Yule festivities included bringing tree branches inside the home and decorating them with food and trinkets, likely opening the way for the Christmas tree as we know it today.
13 Ways to Celebrate Yuletide
- Create a Pagan Winter Solstice framework for the entire holidays season - understand that Christmas Eve and Christmas, New Year's Eve and New Year's Day have their origins in Winter Solstice celebrations of a variety of Pagan cultures through the ages.
- Decorate your home with sacred plants connected with Winter Solstice: evergreen wreaths & boughs, mistletoe, holly, and ivy. Learn about the Pagan symbolism of each.
- Harvest a Yule tree in a sacred way from a tree farm that practices sustainable agriculture, if you can, or intuitively select a tree, cut or symbolic, from a shop in your area. Set up the Yule tree in your home and decorate it with lights, sun symbols, and other images. Reflect on blessings of joy, renewal, and well-wishes as you decorate the tree.
- Kindle lights to represent the Sun. Decorate with electric lights and candles. On one of the nights of Solstice, turn off all lights, experience the longest night, reflect on renewal and peace, and turn the lights back on to symbolize the birth of the New Solar Year.
- Recognize Santa as a multi-cultural, multi-religious character - learn about the Pagan roots of Santa and other Winter Solstice sacred gift bringers, including the Goddess Holda (see my article: When Santa was a Woman on beliefnet for more info).
- Learn about holidays foods, symbols, customs, and/or lore from an ancestral ethnicity and incorporate something you have learned into your celebration of Yuletide.
- Listen to Pagan Yuletide music. Create a Yuletide chant, poem, or song.
- Burn a Yule Log in a hearth, in a bonfire, or by burning candles on, in, or near a log of Oak on an altar. Learn about Yule Log traditions and create your own.
- Meditate on the rising and/or setting of the Solstice Sun. Note its position on the horizon at this time of year and observe its change in position on the horizon as the days start lengthening again.
- Join with others in celebrating Pagan Yuletide. Attend a ritual, be part of a festival, join an on-line discussion, host a party, listen to a Yuletide show on internet radio (I will be doing 3 podcasts this Yule!)
- Contribute to a charity of your choice. Spread the joy of Yuletide.
- Learn about sacred sites aligned with the Winter Solstice. Envision your own celebrations of Winter Solstice being part of a vast network of Solstice celebrations happening around the planet (Winter in the Northern hemisphere & Summer in the South). Watch live video of Winter Solstice at New Grange or other sacred site with coverage.
- Focus on world peace and planetary well-being in your rituals, meditations, prayers, and other workings. Peace-making was part of Winter Solstice among many peoples in the past. Keep this tradition alive in the present and future, suggests circlesanctuary.org.
Happy Yule Greetings Messages and Wishes for Loved Ones
This wonderful occasion has customs quite similar to Christmas celebrations that is sending best wishes to your loved ones using Happy Yule greetings messages and quotes to send your love, cites bestmessage.org.
Yule Greeting Cards
“With lots of love and warm wishes, Happy Yule to you…. May you are blessed with the happiest times with your dear ones.”
“May you are always surrounded with the happiest and brightest moments to fill your life and heart with contentment….. Wishing you Happy Yule.”
|Yule Blessings Quotes |
“May your life is filled with new opportunities to grow, happiness to fill your heart with positivity….. Happy Yule.”
“I wish that the season of winter is full of warmth of love and joy for you and your loved ones…. Happy Yule greetings to you.”
Yule Festival Greetings Messages
1. On this occasion, I wish that your heart and home is filled with warmth of love and affection… company of your family members and dear friends and beautiful memories to cherish today and tomorrow… Have a blessed time…. Wishing you a Happy Yule my friend.
2. May God shower you with positivity and good fortune… happiness and smiles as new sun rises and bring along new hopes and good times… Wishing you and your dear ones a very warm and Happy Yule with lots of celebrations and fun!!!
3. I wish that you are your family are blessed with the brightest and the happiest moments in this festive season with laughter and smile, success and prosperity… Sending warm wishes and lots of love to you on this wonderful occasion… Best wishes on Yule to you my dear friend.
4. On this auspicious occasion, I don’t just wish smile but laughter…. Not just joy but internal happiness… no just money but heaven’s treasure to make this day a lot more memorable for you… Warm wishes to you on the occasion of Yule.. May God bless you.
5. Let us celebrate this day by thanking God for all his blessings… to express our gratitude for his love and protection…. And to seek him support in fighting against the wrong and shine bright like the sun…. Wishing you a very Happy Yule full of happiness and success.
6. May the brightness of rising sun fill your life with positivity, strength, vigor and joy… May all your problems and sorrows come to an end and your life shine bright with happiness and glory… With lots of love, I wish you a very warm and Happy Yule.
7. Blessed are those who have people to love them and God to protect them… celebrations of this wonderful day are incomplete without thanking God for his blessings and seeking his love for our future…. With warm wishes sending you best wishes on Yule.
8. Life is beautiful when you have good people around you and with me in your life, your life is just awesome… Wishing you all the happiness and joyous moments in life and a bright future… Best wishes to you and your family…. Happy Yule to you and your family.
9. Make the new year happier and healthier with celebrations with your near and dear ones… I wish you a warm and wonderful Happy Yule full of fun and feast… fun and frolic… Have a great year ahead full of smiles and joy!!!
10. Let the brightness and shine of rising sun spread in your life and bring joyous moments with your family and friends… I pray for your success and prosperity, growth and glory…. Happy Yule to my dear buddy!!!
|5 best Christmas movies to stream on Disney Plus|
|TOP 10 Christmas Tree Decoration Ideas|
|What is Gravy Day – Celebrated by Australian Around the World?|