How to Make a Delicious Egg Salad Sandwich with Best Recipe Ever?
|Egg salad sandwich. Photo: Somewhat Simple|
Do you know: Eggs are the world's most perfect food!
Why an egg salad sandwich? Can't figure out whether eggs are good for you? You're not alone. These grocery store staples have been like ping-pong balls in the health community. First, they're good, then they're bad, now they're good again.
Researchers in Molecular Nutrition and Food Research report a link between eating eggs each day and lowering the risk for type 2 diabetes. They made the discovery after checking the blood work of over 200 people for two decades. Those who ate more eggs were less likely to be diagnosed with diabetes.
According to the American Diabetes Association, nearly one in ten Americans has type 2 diabetes, making it the seventh leading cause of death.
|Photo: Keck Medicine of USC|
Previously, health experts warned eating eggs can lead to deadly heart disease because of the cholesterol they contain. However, they later did an about-face to the point where even the American Heart Association says you can consume eggs as long as it is part of a heart-healthy diet.
Neurologist David Perlmutter, author of the new, revised best-seller Grain Brain says sadly, too many people are still clinging to the belief that eggs are unhealthy, as cited by CBN News.
"The erroneous but strong messages about egg restriction that emanated primarily from the Unites States in the 1970s have unfortunately stuck around far too long. Scores of studies have confirmed the value of eggs, which are quite possibly the world's most perfect food; the yolk is the most nutritious part."
He said our bodies and most importantly our brains, depend on the good cholesterol that comes from eggs.
"Whole eggs contain all the essential amino acids we need to survive, vitamins and minerals, plus anti-oxidants known to protect our eyes. Moreover, they contain ample supplies of choline, which is particularly important to aiding healthy brain function as well as pregnancy."
Perlmutter says not all eggs are the same, however. He recommends eating only ones that are organic, non-GMO and preferably pasture raised. Eggs produced in conventional, industrialized ways can contain harmful antibiotics and growth hormones, he said.
Perlmutter recommends eggs for breakfast over popular choices such as cereal or toast.
"Foods rich in cholesterol, such as eggs, are very helpful and should be considered 'brain food,'" he said. "The real culprits when it comes to decreased brain function and health are foods that are high on the glycemic index – basically high in carbohydrates."
How to Make a Delicious Egg Salad Sandwich?
Perfect hard-boiled eggs
Add the desired amount of eggs to a saucepan. Cover with water, at least 1-2 inches over the top of the eggs. Bring to a full rolling boil over high heat. Turn the burner off, leaving the pan right on the burner, and set the timer for 10-12 minutes.
|Photo: Simple Recipes|
Drain the hot water out of the pan and run cold water over the eggs to cool them down. Just let them set in the cold water for a few minutes. Peel them under running water for best results.
Ingredients ( 4 sandwiches)
6 large eggs
2 tablespoons Greek yogurt (or mayo)
1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
Salt and pepper
1 stalk celery, washed and chopped
1/4 cup minced yellow onion
A tiny squeeze of lemon juice
2 small handfuls of lettuce
8 slices of whole grain or sourdough bread, toasted
2 cloves of garlic, peeled
1. Place the eggs in a pot and cover with cold water by a 1/2-inch or so. Bring to a gentle boil. Now turn off the heat, cover, and let sit for exactly eight minutes. Have a big bowl of ice water ready and when the eggs are done cooking place them in the ice bath for three minutes or so - long enough to stop the cooking. Crack and peel each egg, place in a medium mixing bowl.
2. Add mayonnaise, the mustard, a couple generous pinches of salt and pepper, celery, onion, and lemon juice. Mash with a fork. Don't completely overdo it, you want the egg mixture to have some texture. If you need to add a bit more yogurt to moisten up the mixture a bit, go for it a bit at a time. Taste, and adjust the seasoning - adding more salt and pepper if needed, 101 CookBook cites.
3. To assemble each egg salad sandwich: rub the toasts with garlic, place a bit of lettuce on a piece of toast, top with the egg salad mixture, and finish by creating a sandwich with a second piece of toast. Repeat with remaining slices.
Egg Salad Sandwich Variations
Once you get your sandwich the way you like it, it’s fun to play around with variations. Here are a few faves.
- Egg Salad with Broiled Gruyere: Broil some thinly sliced gruyere cheese onto your toast, top with the egg salad mixture, sprinkle with fried shallots, and serve open-faced. Inspired by a version I would eat on occasion at Il Cane Rosso in San Francisco.
- Curried Egg Salad Sandwich: This is so good! I think of it as a wintery version where you add curry powder, chopped apple, toasted pecans, and onion.
- Chickpea Salad Sandwich: You can use the same general idea for a vegan version. Pulse a couple of cups of cooked chickpeas in a food processor and proceed with the recipe, adding more yogurt if needed to bring the ingredients together.
|Egg salad sandwich with Greek yogurt. Photo: Dempster's|
How to make egg salad sandwich your own?
Egg salad can be made just the way you like it. It’s such a basic recipe, and it’s just crying out for your unique touch. Here’s some ideas:
# Make it healthier by substituting Greek yogurt (regular or nonfat) for the mayo. There is very little difference in taste or texture. If you’re not sure, try making it half mayo, half yogurt.
# Another healthier option is to replace the mayo with avocado. Simply mash an avocado and use it in place of all or part of the mayo. So yummy!
# Add a dash of fresh lemon juice to brighten the flavors. Or use more Dijon to enhance the mustard flavor.
# Chopped fresh herbs are delicious, as cited by Rachel Cooks. Try fresh dill, parsley, cilantro, or chives.
# Add smoked or sweet paprika to the egg salad. Or add a southwestern flair with chilli powder, cumin, or taco seasoning.
| Easy recipe on how to make Disney churros? |
Acknowleding the fact that Disney Churros has long been top favourite food in DisneyLand but not everyone can understand the history of Disney Churros, this ...
| How to Make a Perfect Burger Bun for Your Burger at Home |
If you think that nothing but the patties has an impact on your hamburger satisfaction, it is such a wrong idea. The burger bun does, ...
| How to make Dole Whip? Simple Recipe - Disney World hacks for 2021 |
Dole Whip which is a soft-serve ice cream has been a favorite dessert for cooling down the hot summer. It was created by Dole Food ...