Easy Steps to make a Red Velvet Cake
|Red Velvet Cake. Photo: Restaurant-hospitality|
A light chocolate cake with lots of addictive cream cheese frosting and a crown of buttercream roses. This cake is moist but so light and fluffy, it really is the perfect match for all that delicious frosting! You can make this without any food coloring and it will be a light tan color, not quite red, but it will be eaten just as quickly!
What is Red Velvet Cake?
Is it chocolate? Is it vanilla? WHAT IS IT! Essentially it’s a chocolate cake made with little cocoa powder. The cocoa reacts with the acidic vinegar and buttermilk, and in turn keeps the cake moist, light, and fluffy. The chocolate taste is fairly mild but the flavours are delicately rich, Cafedelites expressed.
What Does Red Velvet Cake Taste Like?
I used to be unsure about red velvet. I don’t really trust a cake that has a mystery flavor. What is red velvet? Is it vanilla, chocolate, or just a butter cake tinted red? From red velvet brownies and red velvet cookies and red velvet cupcakes, I’ve had a lot of fun getting to know red velvet. Red velvet is: Mild cocoa flavor, Tangy buttermilk, Sweet vanilla, Very buttery.
These 4 flavors are essential to the perfect red velvet layer cake. Not only is the flavor outstanding, red velvet cake’s texture is worth writing home about. It’s dense and soft with a moist and velvety crumb. However, the absolute best part about red velvet cake is the cream cheese frosting. Slathered on thick, my cream cheese frosting recipe is delicately sweet and undeniably creamy, Sallysbakingaddiction noted.
Ingredients of Red Velvet Cake
1. Vegetable oil for the pans:
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon fine salt
1 teaspoon cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
1 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
2 large eggs, at room temperature
2 tablespoons red food coloring (1 ounce)
1 teaspoon white distilled vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Cream Cheese Frosting, recipe follows
Crushed pecans, for garnish
2. Cream Cheese Frosting:
1 pound cream cheese, softened
4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
2 sticks unsalted butter (1 cup), softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions of making Red Velvet Cake
|Photo: Food Network|
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly oil and flour three 9 by 1 1/2-inch round cake pans.
2. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder. In another large bowl, whisk together the oil, buttermilk, eggs, food coloring, vinegar, and vanilla.
3. Using a standing mixer, mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined and a smooth batter is formed.
4. Divide the cake batter evenly among the prepared cake pans. Place the pans in the oven evenly spaced apart. Bake, rotating the pans halfway through the cooking, until the cake pulls away from the side of the pans, and a toothpick inserted in the center of the cakes comes out clean, about 30 minutes.
5. Remove the cakes from the oven and run a knife around the edges to loosen them from the sides of the pans. One at a time, invert the cakes onto a plate and then re-invert them onto a cooling rack, rounded-sides up. Let cool completely.
6. Frost the cake. Place 1 layer, rounded-side down, in the middle of a rotating cake stand. Using a palette knife or offset spatula spread some of the Cream Cheese Frosting over the top of the cake. (Spread enough frosting to make a 1/4 to 1/2-inch layer.) Carefully set another layer on top, rounded-side down, and repeat. Top with the remaining layer and cover the entire cake with the remaining frosting. Sprinkle the top with the pecans.
7. In a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or with a hand-held electric mixer in a large bowl, mix the cream cheese, sugar, and butter on low speed until incorporated. Increase the speed to high, and mix until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. (Occasionally turn the mixer off, and scrape the down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula.)
8. Reduce the speed of the mixer to low. Add the vanilla, raise the speed to high and mix briefly until fluffy (scrape down the bowl occasionally). Store in the refrigerator until somewhat stiff, before using. May be stored in the refrigerator for 3 days, Foodnetwork listed.
Nutrition of Red Velvet Cake
|Calories: 607kcal | Carbohydrates: 72g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 29g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Cholesterol: 110mg | Sodium: 128mg | Potassium: 129mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 66g | Vitamin A: 995IU | Vitamin C: 0.5mg | Calcium: 70mg | Iron: 0.7mg|
Store leftover red velvet cake in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Freezing instructions: Cake will freeze well for up to 3 months, thaw overnight in the refrigerator, then bring to room temperature. Frosting will also freeze for up to three months, thaw overnight in the refrigerator, then bring to room temperature and mix well before frosting the cake.
Buttermilk Substitute: If you don't have any buttermilk on hand, you can use my homemade buttermilk substitute.
To make a 9x13 cake: Spray a 9x13 pan well with nonstick cooking spray. Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and spread it around into one even layer, then bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
To make cupcakes: Line 30-32 cavities in muffin pans with cupcake liners, evenly divide the batter between all of the liners. Bake for 15-18 minute or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cupcakes comes out clean. If you prefer fewer cupcakes, you can cut this recipe in half to make 15-16, Livewellbakeoften said.
If you find the aforementioned information about 'Easy Steps to Make cake", don't hesitate to leave comments or share this article widely, thanks!
| How to Make Fluffy American - styled Pancakes - Super Easy Tips |
Fluffy American-style pancakes can be a real crowd pleaser especially when you see them stacked up high and loaded with every topping imaginable. If you ...
| How to make a simple cake at home - Top cake decorating trends for 2021 |
Homemade cake: Make a cake yourself at Home to present to your friends or beloved on birthday or holiday occasions is really a good ...
| Merry Christmas: How to make a Christmas Cake? |
Want to know how to make a perfect Christmas cake for the upcoming Christmas? Look no further than our given recipe below. Follow it, you ...