UK’s Prince Philip in hospital: What did Buckingham Palace say, How is he now?
|Prince Philip is 99 years old. He has been admitted to the hospital several times in recent years.|
Buckingham Palace’s announcement
Prince Philip, the husband of Britain's Queen Elizabeth II, has been admitted to a London hospital, Buckingham Palace said in a statement Wednesday.
The Duke of Edinburgh was taken to the King Edward VII Hospital on Tuesday evening, as a "precautionary measure" on the advice of his doctor "after feeling unwell," the statement said.
Philip, 99, is expected to remain in hospital for a few days of observation and rest, the statement added.
A Royal source told CNN that the Duke traveled to the hospital by car and it was not an emergency admission. The source added that he walked into the hospital unaided and his illness is not Covid-19 related.
Police stand guard outside London’s King Edward VII hospital where Prince Philip was admitted on Tuesday evening.
The Queen remains at Windsor Castle, to the west of London, the source said.
The couple both received the first dose of a Covid-19 vaccine in January 2021.
|Prince Philip and Queen Elizabeth II.|
How is he now?
Richard Palmer, the Daily Express' royal correspondent tweeted: "The Duke is said to be in good spirits" following his admission to hospital, according to Express.
BBC royal correspondent Nick Witchell said: "We know that he had been feeling unwell for a couple of days.
"We are told that this is not Covid related, it is according to Buckingham Palace are precautionary admission.
"He was taken from Windsor to the Hospital in London by car.
"We are told that he walked in and it was not an emergency admission.
"It is the decision of his doctors that he should be admitted to hospital as a precaution.
"We know of course that he is just a couple of months short of his 100th birthday."
The BBC's royal correspondent added: "He has been at Windsor with the Queen in self-isolation with a small number of officials.
"He was last in hospital just before Christmas in 2019.
"On that occasion, he was admitted for observation and treatment.
"That too was described as precautionary admission and he spent four nights in hospital on that occasion.
"Certainly I sense from Buckingham Palace there is no sense of alarm over this."
Prince Philip stepped back from public life in 2017. Due to his advancing age, the Duke has been taken to hospital several times in recent years. In December 2019 he was admitted to the hospital for treatment of a pre-existing condition.
The Queen and Prince Philip have spent most of the past year at Windsor Castle, having moved away from Buckingham Palace during the first wave of the Covid-19 pandemic in spring 2020.
| UK and Europe Weather forecast (Feb 18): Low pressure west of Scotland, Fine and warm Mediterranean |
UK and Europe Weather forecast (Feb 18): Low-pressure west of Scotland brings rain across most of Scotland, England, and Wales on Thursday morning. Rain in ...
| When will British Lockdowns end? The UK Plan for Exit |
Britain is aiming for a "cautious but irreversible" plan to exit coronavirus lockdown, Prime Minister Boris Johnson said on Monday (Feb 15), as the first ...
| Full List of the 33 'Red List' Countries - New UK Travel Rules |
People returning to England from one of the 33 “red list” countries – including Argentina, South Africa and Portugal - will be required to quarantine ...
| PlayStation 5 (PS5) Restock UK: Dates & Time, Retailers, How to Buy and Prices |
PLAYSTATION 5 (PS5) update: Consoles are tipped to be back in stock on February 10, as new evidence points to a GAME and Very restock. ...