National Hugging Day: Dates, Celebrations, History, Meaning and Facts
|National Hugging Day. Photo: KnowInsiders|
The purpose of National Hugging Day is to help everyone show more emotion in public. The only way to celebrate the day is by offering a hug to anyone and everyone you want. While National Hug Day and the Free Hugs Campaign share many similarities, there is not an association between the two.
A hug is an expression of love and safety that makes your love feel safe and comfortable. Hugging someone for a long time can stimulate the release of oxytocin in the brain, a neurotransmitter that promotes bonding and it can truly lift our mood. Hugs are an expression of love and care. On this Hugging Day, you don't need to say anything, a feeling will speak louder than words.
When is National Hugging Day?
The simplest and most effective way of expressing affection is celebrated on National Hugging Day on January 21. Even though a hug is one of the most natural gestures, it’s not practiced enough these days! This holiday encourages hugging, as a therapeutic way to convey affection and emotions.
History of National Hugging Day
National Hugging Day was created in 1986 by Kevin Zaborney. His friend was the granddaughter of the proprietors of Chase’s Calendar of Events. Zaborney chose January 21 because it was the time between the winter holiday season and the new year’s birthdays, which he noticed was a time people tend to feel low in spirits. He also felt that Americans were often too embarrassed to show affection in public and hoped National Hugging Day would change that, though he never actually thought it would catch on.
The word “hug” is believed to come from the word “hugga” meaning “to comfort” in the Old Norse language, first appearing approximately 450 years ago. However, the history of hugging itself is a bit more uncertain. What is known is that it is only very recently (within the past 50 years) that we have seen a full acceptance of hugging in public, separating it from other distinguished displays of affection such as kissing. The widespread adoption of hugging over the recent years has been debated to be due to two primary reasons: the reduced formality of dress code and manners between relationships, along with the changing behaviors of political figures in pursuit of a more relatable, warm-hearted perception to the public.
Nowadays, we don’t even think about the fact that hugging in public was considered indecent PDA. We hug to greet friends and family, to say goodbye, or to congratulate someone. To console someone or to show support. We hug before sports and performance teams begin their match, and to show a general sign of affection between intimate relationships. There are also Free Hugs charity fundraisers!
National Hugging Day Significance
Hugging is a wonderful expression that comforts a sad person due to some reason in his or her life. Hugging also expresses the love and care that one person has for another.
National hugging day can be celebrated to express the feelings within the heart by hugging people. The hug among friends will certainly increase the bond that they have built since they met.
The hug day is celebrated to remind us that hugging is perfectly fine to comfort the friend or family member who needs it. It is also celebrated to say that hugging among friends to express joy in public is also perfectly fine. A hug helps mask up distancing human families.
The day is celebrated to help people show their emotions in public. It is to say the in the human emotions need not be hidden and felt alone. Hugging day is celebrated to show that emotions can be shared with the trusted people around us.
How to Celebrate National Hugging Day
It is said that hugging is an important part of relationships, and hugs events are the best. The couples can celebrate the national hugging day by having a warm hug and spend the day the way they love. Hugging will give many happy and memorable moments for couples who express love by hugging each other. National hug day is loaded with several health benefits like reducing blood pressure and heart diseases boost the immune system; it is the best tension breaker. A cheek hug is another form of way to celebrate hugging day national wide. Heart disease will vanish among people when your loved ones give u a tight hug. Families come close on hug day and look forward to this holiday apart from valentine’s day.
Hugging benefits the mind and the body. There is a national hug day dedicated to hugging, and it is a grand event and holiday occasion. Please comfort the person whom you know is suffering from any illness on this day. A simple hug can make someone happy, and a fat hug has many health benefits. A simple human touch from someone can have many positive effects. Express the love to everyone in need by meeting them and give a bear hug. Everyone can show affection by hugs, and hugs are responsible for overall human well-being.
Hug Your Family
Of course, the first people who you should hug should be your family. The moment that you wake up from sleep, give a hug to your parents, siblings, grandparents, spouse, or your children if you already have any.
Hug Your Friends
You should also give your friends a hug during this day. Tell them that you love and appreciate them being in your life.
You can also give free hugs to strangers during this day so that they will be able to feel better. This is a good way to improve their mood and make them happy for the rest of the day.
Celebrate on Social Media
You can also take your celebration of this day on social media. You can, for instance, use the hashtag #NationalHugDay to let your friends and followers know that you are also participating in the celebration of this special day.
Getting a hug is a great feeling. It can instantly lift your mood, making you feel safe and appreciated. Sometimes, however, there isn’t anybody around to give you that hug you need. When you need it the most, wrap your hands around yourself and hug yourself tightly. You might think that’s weird, but hear us out. Friends are great, but you’re the star of your own life. And you should love yourself like a star! That means making lots of time for self-care and self-love. So self-hug away.
Historical facts on national hugging day
* Zoboeney felt the need to create the national hugging day dedicated to hugging as he considered the fact that American society is embarrassed to show feelings in public. The hug gives you a state of happiness.
* The national hugging day was created to express the fact the showing emotions in public are alright. The state of being loved is the best one.
* January 21st was chosen to celebrate national hugging day. It fell between Christmas and New Year holidays. It is one of the best ways to enjoy hugs events and share the love with others.
National Day Stats
12 hugs a day
You might not actively think about how many times you’re hugging someone a day, but apparently, reaching a specific “hugging quota” is crucial for your development. Family therapist Virginia Satir says “We need four hugs a day for survival. We need 8 hugs a day for maintenance. We need 12 hugs a day for growth.” It sounds like a lot, but you might be fulfilling the numbers easily without even thinking about it on a daily basis! We can thank our friends, family, and loved ones for that!
In a 2015 study involving 404 healthy adults, researchers from Carnegie Mellon University examined the effect of perceived social support and the receipt of hugs on the participants’ susceptibility to developing the common cold after being exposed to the virus. People who perceived greater social support were less likely to come down with a cold, and researchers calculated that the stress-buffering effects of hugging explained 32% of that beneficial effect. Even among those who got a cold, those who felt greater social support and received more frequent hugs had less severe symptoms.
20 seconds for the perfect hug
Though the average hug with a friend or family member is about 3 seconds long (a quick embrace before continuing a conversation), longer hugs — 20 seconds is recommended — are beneficial to your health. During a hug, we release oxytocin, a hormone that relaxes us and lowers anxiety. It’s often called the “cuddle hormone,” and when it’s released during these 20 second hugs it can effectively lower blood pressure and reduce the stress hormone norepinephrine.
National Hugging Day: Wishes and messages
* There is one gift which can't be given without taking it back that is why I give you a hug, happy hug day!!
* A hug is a way to share joy, happiness, and sadness, I want to hug you, as I want to share everything with you.
* I want to hug you so tightly, and want to make you mine forever, happy hug day.
* Sending you today a hug from across the miles so warm and tight, the distances would disappear and you'd know how much I love you!
* There is one gift in this world giving that is as good as receiving. And I give it to you today. Happy hug day!
* A hug warms, delights and charms. It's the best gift to give to your beloved and I'm sending you across one today.
* If a hug could convey how much I love you, I would hold you in my arms forever.
* Sending your way a warm hug, to let you know that I am thinking of you and I miss you.
* Sending you a hug to ease your stress a kiss to make you smile and my heart to say, I'm thinking of you. Happy hug day!!
* You can't wrap love in a box, but you can wrap a person in a hug. That must be why God gave us arms. So here is a hug for you on this hug day.
* I want to be hugged today and every day. National Hugging Day.
* Everyone needs a hug! Even those dumb animals! National Hugging Day.
* Surround yourself with people you want to hug all day every day! National hugging day.
* To all my lovely people wherever you are in the world, assure you my hug whenever you need. National Hug Day.
* Cheer up someone today with your warm hug. Happy national hugging day.
* I love getting hugs from my tall Furry friends. National Hugging Day.
* National Hugging Day. If you hug someone today, they would be appreciative of the gesture. Hugs to you all.
* During Hurricane, we spent several days helping some very special evacuees and today, we are sending a virtual hug for National Hugging Day.
* National Hugging Day. Get ready to get the best hug ever!
* Sometimes when nothing goes right, all you need is a big hug. Hug someone today.
* Since it’s National Hug Day, here’s some hugs from me to all of you lovely people.
* The weather this day is a warm welcome, but there is nothing quite like a warm hug! Happy hugging day.
* Happy National Hugging Day to all my friends out there and especially to those who are on fighting for our country.
Hug a Newsman Day reminds us that we all have some kind of newspersons around us and it is time to thank them, just the way I am thanking you.
* Best wishes on Hug a Newsman Day to you….. Hats off to your knowledge and your capacity to share the latest news with all of us.
* Without news, we feel disconnected from the world…. A warm thank you to you for bringing us all the news and connecting us with the world…. Happy Hug a Newsman Day.
* May you always keep doing your job and keep us updated with all the news….. Wishing you a very Happy Hug a Newsman Day.
* I want to wish you a very Happy Hug a Newsman Day and thank you for delivering us with the news that keeps us aware about the world.
* News is the most essential thing in a day and on Hug a Newsman Day, I thank our newspersons for bringing it to us.
National Hugging Day 2022 Quotes
|Photo: Latest News Headlines|
* “A hug is all you need to bring happiness and peace to any soul. Spread happiness and warmth with hugs. Warm wishes on National Hugging Day.”
* “Never miss an opportunity to hug your loved ones because they are the most precious thing to you. Wishing a very Happy National Hugging Day.”
* “The occasion of National Hugging Day reminds us all that we are too busy to hug the people we love the most in our lives.”
* “There is something magical about hugs as they instantly uplift our souls and bring us happiness. Warm wishes on National Hugging Day.”
* “There is just one thing that I want in this life and that is many more reasons to hug my family and friends. Happy National Hugging Day to you.”
* “When I have the warmth of hugs to keep me protected and blessed, I don’t need anything else. Warm wishes on National Hugging Day.”
* “On the occasion of National Hugging Day, let us give everyone hugs and make this world a happier place to live. Wishing a very Happy National Hugging Day.”
* “Wishing a very Happy National Hugging Day to everyone. Hugs are the most beautiful and magical things to happen to humans.”
* “Warm greetings on National Hugging Day. Hugs are the best way to connect with the people with love.
* “Wishing a very Happy National Hugging Day to you. Hugs always bring happiness to our souls and smiles to our faces.”
* “When you hug the people you love, it feels like you are holding your world in your arms. Happy National Hugging Day.”
* “I don’t want to miss even one opportunity to hug the people who mean the world to me. Warm wishes on National Hugging Day to you.”
|Hugging builds trust |
The nurturing touch of a hug builds trust and a sense of safety. This helps with open and honest communication. Hugs instantly help increase oxytocin levels, which heal and combat feelings of loneliness, isolation, and anger. We can all take a lesson from this: next time, when you feel like fighting with your significant other, stop … and give your significant other a hug instead. It will give you time to calm down and remind you two of your close connection.
Hugging is healthy
Hugs strengthen the immune system. The gentle pressure on the sternum creates an emotional charge that activates the solar plexus chakra. This in turn stimulates the thymus gland, which regulates and balances the body’s production of white blood cells. Hugs also affect the nervous system. The galvanic skin response of someone receiving and giving a hug suggests a more balanced state in the nervous system post-hug. What does this all mean in English? It just means that hugs are good for you! They’re good for your emotional state, but they’re also good for your physical body. One might even say that hugs are the best medicine! (That being said, if you get sick, please go to a doctor. We’re not joking.)
Hugs may alleviate our fears
Scientists found that hugging — even if it was just an inanimate object like a teddy bear — helps soothe individuals’ existential fears. Interpersonal touch is such a powerful mechanism that even objects that can simulate touch by another person help instill a sense of existential significance. If you think about it, you’ll understand why: it doesn’t matter if we’re a tiny speck in the universe as long as you’re loved.
| Korean American Day: Best Wishes, Celebrations, Hisrory, Meaning |
How to celebrate Korean American Day (January 13): Best Wishes, Quotes, Messages, Date, Hisrory and Meaning!
| March US Calendar with Holidays and Celebrations |
Check out the full list and the major of US calendar in March 2022 with National Day Holidays, Observances and Celebrations.
| February US Calendar with Holidays and Celebrations |
Check out the full list and the major of US calendar in February with National Day Holidays and Celebrations.